Welcome to Quirky Crafts Challenges

Welcome to Quirky Crafts Challenges the place where any craft project is allowed.

We're a small design team with big inspiration.

On the first Sunday of the month, at 6pm UK time, we will set a new challenge which will close on the 28th of that month at midday. The DT will pick their top three favourites and you could win a prize and join us as a Guest Designer. Winners are posted on the first Sunday in the month (midday usually) before the new challenge - don't forget to come and check if you are a winner.
______________________________________________

Sunday, 7 May 2017

May Challenge - Going For A Quirky Song.


Hello everyone! This is my (Diane) first opportunity to set the theme of the challenge since rejoining the team, so I thought I would try to go for something to make you think and perhaps bring back some good memories. I decided on the theme of "Going For A Song". UK readers will remember, a long time ago I must admit, a TV show called this all about antiques. Well your memorable song doesn't have to be old, just something that means something to you.....and because we are just plain nosey we want to hear some of the story behind your choices. Show us your makes that are inspired by your favourite song.

We have, as usual, got some great sponsors for this challenge. First sponsor is Ike's Art.


http://www.ikesart.com/#!__digital-art-stamps

Second to sponsor us this time around is Delicious Doodles.


https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/NewDeliciousDoodles

Ike's Art is offering a $10 voucher as a prize for this months challenge and Delicious Doodles is also offering some digital images from her Etsy Store. These prizes will be awarded to the best entries of the challenge, as judged by the Design Team Members.

If you fancy joining the Design Team, we are always on the look out for new talent. If you are interested please contact Cazzy using the email link in the sidebar. She will want to see what you have created in the past, so include a link to your blog or some photos of your work.

Here is what the team have created for this challenge:-


Jane

The image I have used is Windmill, to represent the song "Living in a windmill in old Amsterdam". There are mice in the song too, but the only mouse images I have aren't really right to use with this, so let's just imagine that all the mice are safely tucked up in their beds  inside the windmill.

I wanted to make this using more of a Delft blue, but I couldn't blend the colours properly with my blue inkpad, so I chose this pretty teal instead so that I could use Broken China DI, which I smooshed onto an acrylic block then used to paint the image, adding water a little at a time to get lighter and lighter shades.

The corners I have used are some very old white peel offs that are replicas of old Dutch tiles.


Tinz

Inspired by a song from 1957 called Blossoms Blues.
I coloured the flowers with promarkers and then fussy cut around them. They are Blossom from IkesArt. I layered them onto a die-cut and an embossed background and then onto a green metallic card base. I added a blue flower with a sparkly embelishment in the centre to balance the design once the sentiments had been added.

                        


Susan

I'm showing my age here!! The song is "Flowers in the Rain" by The Move (1968). I used delicious Doodles " Floral Elegance" coloured with Chameleon pens and fussy cut. The background is a piece of blue card sponged with some blue inks and the stamped with a "Raindrops" stamp from designs by Ryn. And just to make sure there was no mistake about the song I added it across the bottom.


                                  

Me (Diane)

My first record choice was easy for me, it has been one of my favourites for years. When I was expecting my first child Simply Red released a song called "For Your Babies". When my daughter was born, just after the song was released, I used to sing her to sleep with this......I am surprised she turned out so normal come to think of it!
Looking through the designer's websites to choose an image to work with, this lovely image from Ike's Art leapt out at me and reminded me of that song. Hope you like it.

                                     





To see who won the last challenge see the previous post below this one.

Any crafty project is acceptable as usual. Important: BEFORE you link up please add a link to the Quirky Crafts Challenges blog (http://quirkycrafts.blogspot.com - the blog not this post) to your post - or you will not be able to enter. When you have done this you can go ahead and add a link to your blog post or your online photo gallery, SCS etc. using the button or link below. If you do not have a blog (or inlinkz will not accept your non blog link) you can email your entry to us via the sidebar link. Good luck!

Have Fun - The Quirky Crafts Challenge Design Team.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous creations from the Team and what an excellent Theme. I might be back later on to play along :-D
    Thank you for having me again as a Sponsor - it's always a pleasure to be here :-D
    Hugz
    IKE xx


    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog
    FB Fan Page
    Cat Lovers Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fabulous challenge and wonderful DT inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    what very wonderful creations by the DT.
    Thank you for such a great theme.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete

We would love you to comment on this post.
All comments are moderated and they may take a while to appear, but as soon as one of the team sees your comment it will be published.